Double Nose Piercing: This popular piercing may be either two piercings on one side of the nostril or one piercing on each side. Many people view nose piercings as a recent trend, but they actually have roots in ancient history. They were commonly seen in the Middle East and India as early as 4,000 years ago. In Australia, aboriginal people wore bone septum piercings as far back as 44,000 B.C.
If you’re really considering getting a double nose piercing now, it’s really very important to be well-informed about the process and what to expect from this. Improper care can lead to infections, especially with nose piercings, so it’s crucial to gather as much information as possible.
Double Nose Piercing
A double nose piercing typically goes through the nostril at the point where it starts to curve away from the face. You can opt for two piercings on the same side or one on each side. Similar to a single nostril piercing, the pain level is relatively low.
It is one of the least painful nose piercings and tends to heal faster than more complex piercings. There is a wide range of jewelry options for double nose piercings, with rings, studs, and chains being the most common choices. To simplify the placement process, it’s usually recommended to choose thinner studs or rings.
However, it’s important to ensure that you visit an experienced piercer if you decide to go this route. Each piercing needs to be carefully placed to avoid potential pain and nerve damage.
Meaning of Double Nose Piercings
A double nose piercing involves combining two different types of piercings on the nose. There are seven types of nose piercings, including nostril piercings, bridge piercings, austin bar piercings, nasallang piercings, septum piercings, septril piercings, and rhino piercings. The most common combinations for double nose piercings are usually double nostril piercings and nostril plus septum piercing combinations, so we will focus on those in this guide.
Remember, Nostril piercings are easily and carefully done on the outer cartilaginous area of the nose, specifically the nostril. Regular nostril piercings are typically placed along the curve of the nostril. Septum piercings, on the other hand, go through the thin membrane beneath the septum, also known as the columella. Since the septum, which is formed by cartilage and separates the nostrils, is quite hard, tought, piercers aim for the “sweet spot” of soft tissues underneath.
How much does a double nose piercing cost?
Nostril piercings usually cost between $25 and $30, excluding the price of jewelry. Therefore, a double piercing would cost twice as much.
Pros of Double Nose Piercings
- Popular and commonly seen
- One of the least painful nose piercings
- Faster healing time compared to other nose piercings (approximately 2-4 months, while piercings like nasallang can take nine months or longer to heal)
- Less expensive than more complex piercings like septril piercings – Wide variety of jewelry options available for double nose piercings – Easier to clean compared to more complex piercings
Cons of Double Nose Piercings
- Potential risks, similar to other types of nose piercings
- Cost varies depending on location, with prices generally ranging from $25 to $95 for nose piercings.
- Nostril piercings tend to be on the lower end of the price range, while more complex piercings like septril piercings typically cost more.
How painful is a double nose piercing?
Pain tolerance varies from person to person, making it difficult to provide a definitive answer. Generally speaking, a double nose piercing is one of the least painful options for nose piercings.
Double Nose Piercing Aftercare
The healing period for a double nose piercing is longer compared to a typical earlobe piercing. On average, it takes about four to six months for the piercing to fully heal. In some cases that we have seen that, it may even take up to a year.
This is because cartilage takes a longer time to heal compared to fleshy tissues. During the first three weeks after the piercing, it is normal to experience minimal bleeding, swelling, bruising, and redness.
However, if you notice symptoms such as fever, swollen and tender skin, or pus coming out of the piercing site, it could indicate an infection. In such cases, it is really very important to seek medical attention immediately.
Taking care of your double nose piercings is relatively simple. You will need a saline solution, gauze or a cotton swab, and soap and water. Clean your piercing with a saline solution two to three times a day, making sure not to over-clean or under-clean as it can lead to irritation. Before touching your nose or jewelry, wash your hands with soap and water.
Then, soak a gauze pad or cotton swab in the saline solution and gently swab or pat the piercing area until it is fully covered. If possible, you can also immerse your piercing in a cup filled with saline solution.
It is important to avoid using alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or ointments like Neosporin or Bactine on your piercing. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can dry out and harm healthy cells, slowing down the healing process. Ointments block oxygen from reaching the piercing and leave a sticky residue that can clog the hole.
What is the meaning of double nose piercing?
In ancient North African tribes, wearing golden nose rings symbolized wealth. In India, women traditionally wore nose rings in the left nostril, believing it would alleviate menstrual cramps and facilitate childbirth.
Today, nose piercings are often associated with counterculture. How long does it take for a double nose piercing to heal completely? The healing process typically takes about 2-4 months for a double nose piercing. It is important to note that the area around the piercing may remain swollen and red for up to three weeks after the piercing.
How to care for double nose piercings?
- Avoid touching the piercing or applying makeup near it.
- Avoid exposing the piercing to dirty water.
- Clean the piercing twice a day using a saline solution clearly or piercing aftercare spray.
- Be careful not to snag the piercing on clothing or towels.
- Avoid moving the piercing before it has fully healed, as this can be painful and may impede the healing process or damage the piercing.
How to clean double nose piercing?
To properly clean a double nose piercing, it is crucial to ensure proper care for optimal healing. It is recommended to rinse the piercing with a saline solution or use a specialized aftercare spray at least twice daily.
To create a salt solution, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt with one cup of water and stir until dissolved. Alternatively, ready-to-use piercing aftercare sprays are available for purchase. In the case of infection, antiseptic solutions like betadine, isopropyl alcohol, or diluted hydrogen peroxide can also be used.
Soak a cotton ball in the solution and gently dab it around the piercing site. It is really very important not to remove the jewelry. Afterward, use clean gauze or tissue to pat the area dry.
Your piercer should provide detailed instructions on maintaining cleanliness following the placement of the piercing.
Suitable Jewelary for a Doubt Nose Piercing?
Now, let’s discuss suitable jewelry options for a double nose piercing. Before exploring different types of jewelry, it is important to note that initial jewelry is often slightly larger to accommodate swelling during the first few months. Once the swelling subsides, you can switch to jewelry of the appropriate size. For nostril and septum piercings, the following jewelry types are recommended:
Below are the Suitable Jewellary for a Double Nose Piercing
1. Press Fit: This type of jewelry features a hollow post inside the nostril with a “top” piece pressed onto it. It is ideal for those seeking a same-side or double stud nose piercing.
2. Nostril Screws: These jewelry pieces have a bent or curved post that matches the inside curvature of your nostril. To remove a nostril screw, you need to twist or unscrew it from your nose.
3. Hoop Nose Rings: There are various options for hoop nose rings, ranging from subtle seamless rings to captive bead rings with a bead or gemstone in the center. If you desire a double-sided nose piercing without studs, a double hoop nose piercing is a suitable choice.
4. Septum Clickers: For double nose piercings involving septum piercings, clickers and barbell types are commonly used. Clickers consist of a hoop with a hinged closure that clicks into place.
5. Circular or Horseshoe Septum Barbells: They are not complete rings, giving them a resemblance to the letter C or horseshoes. To secure this type of jewelry onto your nose, you attach a small barbell as a stopper on either end.
6. The double nose piercing chain is a unique style achieved through a nasallang piercing. This particular piercing involves a bar that starts from one nostril, goes through the septum, and continues into the other nostril.
Alternatively, you can opt for a septum chain, which is similar to a septum clicker but instead of a solid hoop, it features a chain hanging from a semi-circle.
Thanks for reading and sharing this article.